Create Calm with these 5 Simple Strategies
by Angela Gaffney
We may not be able to control all the events in life, but we do have the power to choose how we show up and respond in every situation. As we close one year and begin anew we’re provided the opportunity to reflect on our choices in the past year and focus on positive shifts for the months ahead.
Creating calm is all about being present and increasing fulfillment in life. When you’re able to achieve fulfillment, you’ll feel emotionally and physically balanced and live life in a positive, passionate way. As you continue to work hard and create exceptional experiences for our clients, guests, and owners I would encourage you to select one or two of these strategies to practice in the months ahead. Each strategy helps create calm and reduces stress even in the midst of challenging moments.
- Breathe Breathing is free, portable, and life-changing. Stop what you’re doing. Place both feet flat on the floor, relax your shoulders, close your eyes, and place one hand on your belly while the other rests on your lap. Now use your nose to inhale, filling every area of your belly full of air. Pause at the top of the inhalation and then exhale through the mouth. Repeat often.
- Be Present When we take things one step at a time, and focus on the task at hand we are more productive and less stressed overall. Break the multi-tasking cycle and begin accomplishing one “to-do” at a time. This provides us space to think clearly, be direct about our goals for the day, and structure accordingly to achieve them.
- Positive Affirmation Researchers believe we have 60,000 thoughts a day and 80% of them are negative! We’re filling our brains with self-limiting beliefs when we allow negative thoughts and self-talk to exist in life. This is a sure-fire way to feel unfulfilled and stressed in life. Start replacing the negative chatter with a positive affirmation. When you hear the negative chatter, silently say “there’s no space in my life for this to exist” and replace the negative thoughts with a positive affirmation. An affirmation is an “I AM” statement such as “I AM CAPABLE” or “I AM CONFIDENT” or “I AM WORTHY” to support you in health and happiness. Use powerful words that speak to you and carry meaning in your life.
- Release Control There’s no need to fret about the decisions another person makes, nor the reaction a person may have to the choices you make in life. You can only control your own personal choices and responses. Begin to release control of others’ decisions and responses by giving them permission to respond however they need to respond. This can be done silently or communicated directly to the person in a caring, loving way. This will free you up to experience more fulfillment and joy in your own life.
- Live a life of Gratitude The practice of gratitude sheds new light on a situation, affirms the positive in your life, and helps you celebrate all that is good. Take time every day to express gratitude for the big and small things in your life. Write down 5-10 things you’re grateful for each morning upon waking, and again at night before going to sleep.
We appreciate you and all you do! Please take time for yourself, get outside for a favorite activity, and enjoy practicing these strategies to experience calm in your day.